cron can't find root or operator

carvin5string carvin5string at yahoo.com
Thu May 20 13:57:49 PDT 2004

--- Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> You've got a user's crontab created in the format of the system
> crontab.
>
> The system crontab has an extra field to designate the user under
> which
> the job should run.  When this field is entered in a user's crontab,
> cron interprets it as the command to be run and the errors you
> describe
> generally result.
>
> Keep in mind that the user "root" has a user crontab that is
> different
> from the system crontab.
>
> If you're still fuzzy as to what went wrong, reading the man pages
> for
> crontab (in addition to my explanation) should help.
>
> good luck.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technologies
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Bill,
I see in the Handbook in section 6.6.1 that I should run crontab
crontab to create a new crontab, which I did, in the /etc directory, as
root. Thus the crontab file in /etc looks like this -
After reading the man page and the one page in the manual I don't know
what to do to fix this -

www# crontab -l
# /etc/crontab - root's crontab for FreeBSD
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/crontab,v 1.32 2002/11/22 16:13:39 tom Exp $
#
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/etc:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
HOME=/var/log
#
#minute hour    mday    month   wday    who     command
#
*/5     *       *       *       *       /usr/libexec/atrun
#
# Save some entropy so that /dev/random can re-seed on boot.
*/11    *       *       *       *       /usr/libexec/save-entropy
#
# Rotate log files every hour, if necessary.
0       *       *       *       *       newsyslog
#
# Perform daily/weekly/monthly maintenance.
1       3       *       *       *       periodic daily
15      4       *       *       6       periodic weekly
30      5       1       *       *       periodic monthly
#
# Adjust the time zone if the CMOS clock keeps local time, as opposed
# UTC time.  See adjkerntz(8) for details.
1,31    0-5     *       *       *       adjkerntz -a
#
# Rotate web server logs and run webalizer
0       0       *       *       6       /usr/bin/rotate_weblogs
5       0       *       *       6       /usr/local/bin/webalizer -Q
/usr/local/www/data/weblogs/httpd-access.backup
www#