port installation problems progress

paul beard paulbeard at mac.com
Thu May 20 13:01:40 PDT 2004

I had been having some problems installing ports: they manifested as
configure misreading the system type and setting up libtool so it
wouldn't build shared libs.

After some correspondence with a FreeBSD team member and a port
maintainer, I decided to start afresh with a kernel and world
reinstall. This led me to the solution. The email excerpted below
mentioned almost the same error I was seeing:

http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/freebsd-stable/msg04153.html

> For the last week or so, I've been having trouble building kernels
> against a
> RELENG_4 source tree.  A 'make buildkernel' from /usr/src fails as
> follows:
>
> perl5 /usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.pl -h /usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.src
> syntax error at /usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.pl line 135, near "{}"
> Execution of /usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.pl aborted due to compilation
> errors.

I took the advice suggested below.

http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/freebsd-stable/msg04174.html

> I believe I have these resolved.
> If anybody's interested, it took a reboot, buildworld followed by an
> install
> from /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl, then buildkernel went fine.  At Mike
> Tansca's suggestion, I'd tried a buildworld (against a fresh source
> tree),
> and I was getting cc errors - the reboot appears to have fixed those.
> My
> build machine is now happily running a new kernel/world.

Some packages are building OK but I still see issues on some ports.

Any ideas how this might have gotten into this state and how I can
resolve it completely?
--
Paul Beard
<www.paulbeard.org/>