Correct steps to recompile kernel

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu May 20 09:57:54 PDT 2004

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> - snip -
>
>>># cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>>># cp GENERIC GENERIC.bak
>>># cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
>>># ee MYKERNEL
>>>(modifying the kernel)
>>
>>This is good ... although making a backup of GENERIC
>>is
>>somewhat redundant.
>
> Noted with thanks.  But in case of trouble where can I
> get the old kernel back.

GENERIC _is_ the old kernel.  That's why it's recommended
never to edit GENERIC, but to always copy it to a new
config file.

Again, it won't hurt anything to back it up ... you can
never have too many backups.

<snip>

>>You don't mention if you've updated your source code
>>or not.
>>Just a warning, if you _did_ update your source
>>code, you need
>>to remake world as well as the kernel or you'll have
>>trouble.
>>If you didn't update your source, the steps outlined
>>above
>>should cover everything.
>
> No, I am not going to upgrade the kernel, only to
> activate SCSI support.  Sorry for not mentioning it on
> my first posting.

NP.  I just wanted to bring it up in case.  It's a
fairly common mistake to update ones sources, build a
new kernel without rebuilding world, and then wonder
where all the problems are coming from ;)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies