Correct steps to recompile kernel

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu May 20 09:10:44 PDT 2004

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi all folks,
>
> FreeBSD 5.2
> ===========
>
> I am trying to learn recompiling kernel. I visited
> following link;
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.IS...g-building.html
>
> But I am still not very clear of the correct steps to
> be taken. I suppose taking following steps
>
> # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> # cp GENERIC GENERIC.bak
> # cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
> # ee MYKERNEL
> (modifying the kernel)

This is good ... although making a backup of GENERIC is
somewhat redundant.

> # config MYKERNEL
> # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MYKERNEL
> (Are the above directories correct???)
>
> # make depend
> # make
> # make install

This is the _old_ way.  I believe it still works, but I
don't know if it's supported any longer, and besides, it's
just more work than needed.  The docs describe the newer
method, which is

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
<reboot to single-user mode>
make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
reboot

> check /etc/rc.conf to have the line:
> linux_enable="YES"
> reboot PC

This is a completely different thing than compiling a kernel.
If you want the linuxulator installed, definately do this,
but it's not really related to building a kernel.

You don't mention if you've updated your source code or not.
Just a warning, if you _did_ update your source code, you need
to remake world as well as the kernel or you'll have trouble.
If you didn't update your source, the steps outlined above
should cover everything.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies