graphics files not printing correctly

Jason Taylor jason at infinitebubble.com
Thu May 20 04:24:47 PDT 2004

I've followed the directions in the handbook for setting up lpd and also
installed apsfilter via ports and ran /usr/local/share/apsfilter/SETUP.
  In general printing is working.  For example, a text document from OOo
prints just fine.  However, when I attempt to print a jpeg file the
result is what I can best describe as a blurry negative image.  That's
not terribly accurate.  It's more like it's been converted to only a
handful of colors and possibly some colors dropped altogether.

I've tried both the native gs driver and the gimp-print stp driver with
the same results.  Test pages printed from within the apsfilter setup
look great.  The problem does not seem to be limited to jpegs in
particular.  A pdf from a few days ago was also blurred/color
reduced/altered.  Images printed directly from firefox a week or so ago
show the same symptoms.  Whether those were jpeg, gif, png, or something
else, I'm not certain.

I've ruled out any network issues by copying a few jpeg files over to
the server and printing them locally.  I've also converted a few from
jpeg to ps and back again to rule out imagemagick.

I'm confident that the printer itself is in good order based on the good
test pages and it having worked well on a WinXP just prior to having
been moved over the the FreeBSD box.  I no longer have any Windows
machines around to check that it still works on them.  :-D

Any tips will be much appreciated.