**heads-up** : likely spam using [name]@freebsd.org

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Tue May 18 10:30:06 PDT 2004

Dude,

epilogue at allstream.net wrote:

> http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/ is a valid URL, because yar is indeed a
> committer.
>
> this said, something (read: mailer-daemon error) tells me that
> yar's e-mail below (bottom) is not quite right.  haven't bothered to open
> the attachement and don't really see the point, given the virus comment in
> the bounce reply.
>
> perhaps this is already old hat.  perhaps it is just my mistake.
> nevertheless, i thought that you might appreciate a heads-up that some
> spammer(s) may now be highjacking freebsd.org addresses in an attempt to
> get us to open their attachments.
>

> cheers,
> epi

This happends all the time, with @freebsd.org addresses, @symantec.com
adresses, with @cisco.com adresses , even with @elvandar.org adresses,
more strict, my personal adres is used often...

Virusses are "getting" other's userinformation now, and use that to try
and infect people like us. Since some of us (me oa) know that this is a
virus, we don't open it. But some people might get misled by it. The
goal of the writer had been achieved then.

Try to delete them and update your virusscanner regularly and you would
be fine ;-)

--

Kind regards,

Remko Lodder