sound driver not loading

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue May 18 10:15:43 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 08:59 am, arden wrote:
> thanks that sorted it
> another quick one
>
> how do you access the cdrom?
> tried cd /mnt/cdrom as would do in linux

Never tried it that way. I have a directory called /cdrom and all I do
is "mount /cdrom". You can't mount audio cds. You simply play them.

Some of the ports tell you to link /dev/acd0c to /dev/cdrom and chmod it
to something like 744. I use xmcd or kscd to play my audiio cds but
usually configure them to use acd0c.

Kent

> arden
>
> On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 15:59, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 May 2004 07:46 am, arden wrote:
> > > hi all
> > >
> > > another newbie question I'm afraid when i boot my machine the
> > > sound driver module is not loading and have to type kldload
> > > snd_drivers every time did i miss something on install?
> >
> > You have to add something like
> > snd_driver_load="YES"
> > to /boot/loader.conf for it to be run everytime you boot.
> >
> > > is it time to get a crash course in kernel compiling?
> >
> > That is what I did. I added "options pcm" to my kernel config file,
> > which requires building a kernel, but why do it if the loader.conf
> > addition works :).
> >
> > Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA