mounting usb camera - no /dev/da* !!!

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Mon May 17 12:58:50 PDT 2004

Hello,

In the past I've always been able to mount USB devices (a card reader and a
webcam) as msdosfs at /dev/da0 or some such... my new camera's not playing
that game.

It's a Kodak EasyShare DX4530. I've unplugged all my other usb devices to test
things, and booted up with it plugged in.

usbdevs -dv shows:

Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub0
 port 1 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, KODAK EasyShare DX4530
Zoom Digital Camera(0x0576), Eastman Kodak Company(0x040a), rev 1.00
   ugen0
 port 2 addr 3: full speed, self powered, config 1, USB HUB(0x0e01), vendor
0x0000(0x0000), rev 0.04
   uhub1
  port 1 powered
  port 2 powered
  port 3 powered
  port 4 powered

--------------------------------

Only three new entries are created in /dev when I plug it in: /dev/ugen0,
dev/ugen0.1 and /dev/ugen0.2, none of which are mountable in the normal way as
msdosfs (I get "Block device needed")

Digikam detects it fine and correctly, but when I try to look at it says
"Failed to initialize camera.
Please ensure camera is connected properly and turned on"

In the meantime Windows has no problem with it at all. This state of affairs
must not be allowed to continue, by mine honour.

plugging it in gives

-bash-2.05b$ ugen0: Eastman Kodak Company KODAK EasyShare DX4530 Zoom Digital
Camera, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2

and unplugging it

-bash-2.05b$ ugen0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected ugen0: detached

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Ben