Help with editing partition tables

Phil Thomson philthom at freeshell.org
Sun May 16 21:17:33 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I am a relative newbie to UNIX, going from being an ex-Windows user to
being an X Windows user! ;-) I recently got FreeBSD installed on an older
PC with a 3 GB drive and a 5 GB drive (which has not yet been mounted).
The system is installed on the 3 GB drive, but my current partition table
is inadequate to my needs. Here is the output of df -H:

/dev/ad0s1a   260M   254M -15.3M   106%    /
devfs         1.0K   1.0K     0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1f   3.4G   1.6G   1.6G    51%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1e   260M    14M   225M     6%    /var

As you can see /dev/ad0s1a is dangerously full, and I hadn't finished
installing applications yet (it got this full as I was
compiling/installing Pine). Is there a way to change the partition table
to allocate more space to /dev/ad0s1a? Sounds like a job for fdisk, but
"man fdisk" leave me none the wiser on how to proceed with this. I've
checked the online handbook too. Can anyone point me to a guide on this
process or give me some pointers? TIA!

Phil