FreeBSD 4.7 Syslogs

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Sun May 16 06:52:47 PDT 2004

Sunil Sunder Raj wrote:

> Hi,
> Just give 777 permissions to /var/log/messages

With all due respect, but that is rather bad advice. I have been running syslog on FreeBSD 4.7R for years, without problem; and never ever did I have to resort to making /var/log/messages world-writeable. Besides, that is totally unnecessary too: syslogd runs as root, so only root needs write permissions (and, since it is root, probably not even that).

You can run syslogd like this:

    /usr/sbin/syslogd -s

Or something like:

    /usr/sbin/syslogd -a 192.168.6.0/24

if you need to log from remote machines. Your /etc/syslog.conf should look something like this:

*.err;kern.debug;mail.crit                      /var/log/messages
*.notice;lpr.info;news.err                      /var/log/messages
security.*                                      /var/log/security
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog