where has /etc/defaults/make.conf gone? [was: COPTFLAGS...]

platanthera platanthera at web.de
Sun May 16 05:10:34 PDT 2004

On Saturday 15 May 2004 03:31, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> platanthera wrote:
> > On Friday 14 May 2004 00:03, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> >> Yes, you do.  But I'm sure that you will find the make.conf(5)
> >> manpage very informative and useful.
> >
> > not really. it says
> > The /etc/make.conf file is included from the appropriate Makefile
> > which specifies the default settings for all the available options.
> >  Options need only be specified in /etc/make.conf when the system
> > administrator wishes to override these defaults.
>
> The manpage is correct.  /etc/make.conf behaves much the same way as
> /etc/rc.conf and other config files with regard to default values.
>
> Take a look in /etc/defaults/make.conf, /etc/defaults/rc.conf, etc.

OK, in case of rc.conf the situation is pretty clear - the general
system defaults are defined in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and if you want to
change something you edit /etc/rc.conf whose settings override those
of  /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
But what about make.conf? There is no /etc/defaults/make.conf on my
sytem (5.2_RELENG), and looking at /usr/src/etc/defaults/ after running
cvsup it seems that's correct.
I didn't notice when /etc/defaults/make.conf disappeared (during 4.x -->
5.x transition?), but the really important question is: Where are the
general system defaults defined now?

[...]

> Please tell us which port was listing the -O2?  Ports which disregard
> CFLAGS are considered BROKEN and ought to be fixed...

koffice in this case (but I think all the other kde stuff and other
ports too) have their own CFLAGS defaults, which get overridden by the
system defaults specified in /etc/make.conf or whereever. Think that's
OK.

regards