FreeBSD 4.7 Syslogs

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Sun May 16 02:04:17 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "JJB" <Barbish3 at adelphia.net>
To: "Matt "Cyber Dog" LaPlante" <webmaster at cyberdogtech.com>; "'Matthew
Seaman'" <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>; <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 3:04 PM
Subject: RE: FreeBSD 4.7 Syslogs

> Well since you are new to FBSD and since the syslogd -d commands
> shows that you do not have logging specified in /etc/syslog.conf for
> the messages file. You just do not know what you are looking at. Who
> ever was sysadmin before you probably  commented it out for what
> ever reason.
>
> By the way I tried using the logger command on my 4.9 system and it
> did not write any messages at all. So it is no help in debugging
> this problem. I read the man logger info and as usual the man page
> is useless. Who ever writes those must work real hard at writing
> sentences that convey no meanings.

Logger works just fine if you know how to use it and are running it as root
and is a good tool for working with syslog problems. The man pages tell you
quite a bit about provided you can interpret them effectively.

man logger:

logger [-46Ais] [-f file] [-h host] [-p pri] [-t tag] [message ...]

-p pri  Enter the message with the specified priority.  The priority may
             be specified numerically or as a ``facility.level'' pair.  For
             example, ``-p local3.info'' logs the message(s) as
informational
             level in the local3 facility.  The default is ``user.notice.''

man syslogd will give you a list of all priorities and facilities.

Priorities:

LOG_EMERG     A panic condition.  This is normally broadcast to all
                   users.

LOG_ALERT     A condition that should be corrected immediately, such as a
                   corrupted system database.

LOG_CRIT      Critical conditions, e.g., hard device errors.
LOG_ERR       Errors.
LOG_WARNING   Warning messages.
LOG_NOTICE    Conditions that are not error conditions, but should possi-
                   bly be handled specially.
LOG_INFO      Informational messages.
LOG_DEBUG     Messages that contain information normally of use only when
                   debugging a program.

Facilities:

LOG_AUTH      The authorization system: login(1), su(1), getty(8), etc.
LOG_AUTHPRIV  The same as LOG_AUTH, but logged to a file readable only by
                   selected individuals.
LOG_CONSOLE   Messages written to /dev/console by the kernel console out-
                   put driver.
LOG_CRON      The cron daemon: cron(8).
LOG_DAEMON    System daemons, such as routed(8), that are not provided
                   for explicitly by other facilities.
LOG_FTP       The file transfer protocol daemons: ftpd(8), tftpd(8).
LOG_KERN      Messages generated by the kernel.  These cannot be gener-
                   ated by any user processes.
LOG_LPR       The line printer spooling system: lpr(1), lpc(8), lpd(8),
                   etc.
LOG_MAIL      The mail system.
LOG_NEWS      The network news system.
LOG_SECURITY  Security subsystems, such as ipfw(4).
LOG_SYSLOG    Messages generated internally by syslogd(8).
LOG_USER      Messages generated by random user processes.  This is the
                   default facility identifier if none is specified.
LOG_UUCP      The uucp system.
LOG_LOCAL0    Reserved for local use.  Similarly for LOG_LOCAL1 through
                   LOG_LOCAL7.

So, you have facilities of auth, authpriv, console, cron, daemon, ftp, kern,
lpr, mail, news, security, syslog, user, uucp, local0 - local7 and you have
priorities of: emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info and debug

So, by doing the command logger -p <facility.priority> <message> like so:

logger -p security.notice "This is a test of security.notice"

You get this in your security log which is default to /var/log/security

May 16 03:24:14 router /kernel: ipfw: 65000 Deny TCP 222.90.22.52:4267
68.227.96.223:65506 in via ep0
May 16 03:30:03 router micheal: This is a test of security.notice

If you're running syslogd -d you'll see exactly what was sent to syslogd and
where it was placed:

logmsg: pri 155, flags 0, from router, msg May 16 04:01:04 micheal: This is
a test of security.notice
Logging to FILE /var/log/messages
Logging to CONSOLE /dev/console
Logging to FILE /var/log/security
logmsg: pri 166, flags 17, from router, msg May 16 04:01:04 router micheal:
This is a test of security.notice

As you can see, I have *.notice going to messages and security.* to security
and /dev/console.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.