du -s causes reboot

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat May 15 04:50:39 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 04:54:10AM -0500, Eugene Lee wrote:
> FreeBSD 4.9p7.  I have a new Dell PowerEdge 1750 that is giving me fits.
> I have a ~/src directory containing source tarballs that are unpacked.
> A "du -s ~/src" locks up my ssh session and causes it machine to reboot.
> No entries in /var/log/messages or /var/log/console.info to indicate the
> problem.  No core dumps either.  All filesystems (except root) have
> softupdates enabled.  Suggestions to troubleshoot this are appreciated.
> Rebuilding the kernel now with -g, hope it helps...

Try dropping to single-user mode and applying the utility from your
domain name :-) It's possible you have filesystem corruption that is
causing your kernel crashes.

If not, you'll need to capture the panic by enabling crashdumps; see
the chapter on kernel debugging in the developer's handbook.

Kris