The correct way to run "make"

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Sat May 15 03:31:27 PDT 2004

>> Re: The correct way to run "make"
>> From:
>> Android66 <android.66 at volja.net>
>> Date:
>> Fri, 14 May 2004 19:50:26 +0200
>> To:
>> Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot at lphp.org>
>>
>> To:
>> Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot at lphp.org>
>> CC:
>> freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>>

>> Often you need to specify values, like for postgresql:
>>
>> make PREFIX=/some/other/dir
>>
>> And here's another question. I always use the same options for make,
>> make install and make clean, ie:
>>
>> make PREFIX=/some/other/dir
>> make PREFIX=/some/other/dir install
>> make PREFIX=/some/other/dir clean
>>
>> This is because I noticed that some ports (I forgot which one I was
>> having this experience with) need these options in order to install
>> and clean correctly as they generate the package name based on the
>> options specified. Is what I'm doing OK or is there another,
>> beter/simpler/easier way to do it?

Greetings!

If there are options you use every single time you run make, put them in
/etc/make.conf. If, in the above example, that PREFIX was only meant for
postgresql, just hand make all the targets on one line, instead of
dividing it up into three.

Instead of:
make <options>
make <same options> install
make <same options> clean

do:
make <options> install clean

That will perform the same task, with less typing required. :-)

-Henrik W Lund