mount_msdosfs anomaly

hoe-waa at hawaii.rr.com hoe-waa at hawaii.rr.com
Fri May 14 16:29:50 PDT 2004

Aloha Again

Okay, I had some time and since I had just installed Slackware, I didn't mind blowing it away.

Using cfdisk from the Slackware CD, I re-partitioned  slices 3 and up. I now have a fat32 3Gig slice in primary partition/slice ad0s3. I then have four 12 Gig slices (5 - 8) set up as linux partitions. Finally slice 9 (ad0s9/hda9) is linux swap.

I still have the same error when trying to "mount_msdosfs /dev/ad0s3 /shared" or "mount -t msdos /dev/ad0s3 /shared"

I know it is seen as a fat32 partition in Win98 because I format it and run scandisk on it and can write to it.

So, I don't think the problem was a primary/logical partition problem. I need to swap data between the OS's and this should be the easiest way.:)

Robert

> > Aloha
> > I first used a win98 boot disk to set slice 1(partition 1) a 5
> Gig for
> > my win98 slice. After installing win98, I used the freebsd 5.2.1
> CD to
> > set up the freebsd slice 2 at 20 Gig.
>
> OK.  I haven't had time (or a spare machine) to play with 5.xxx
> yet.

I have a spare frankenputer if you can get to Kona, I'll loan it to you :)

> > After installing freebsd I used Slackware 9.1 CD and the cfdisk
> program
> > on it to partition the rest of the disk. Slice/partition3 is a
> primary.
> > Slice 4 is extended with logical slices/partitions 5 through 10.
> > installed Slackware on slice 8 with a linux swap on slice 9 and a
> 2.7Gig
> > fat32 on slice 10.
>
> Well, that (using Slackware and being logical partitions within
> an extended ) explains some things about how you got those slices.
>
> I believe FreeBSD is quite limited in its ability to talk to
> MS extended partitions.

<snip>

> /dev/ad0s10> > > >> /shared" I get the following error:

> have a
<snip>