USB Storage devices (Cigar/Pen) in FreeBSD?

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Fri May 14 14:03:17 PDT 2004

Hello,

> I'd like to buy one of those USB storage devices that come
> in different aspects (cigar/pen) and sizes (64/128/256/512
> MB).
>
> My main machine does not have USB 2.0 ports (but does have
> USB 1) and is running FreeBSD-4.9
>
> Do these devices work with FreeBSD-4.9? What kernel options
> should I enable?

FreeBSD does have support for USB mass storage, so assuming it's a standard
USB mass storage device, it should work.

The biggest hassle in my experience is choosing a USB2 controller that works,
if you want USB 2.0.

On my laptop I have an intel controller, "82801DB/DBM (ICH4/M)" according to
pciconf -v -l, and it does work with USB 2 devices on CURRENT. However on 5.2
and below the controller dies when I insert a USB 2 device; though USB 1
works fine.

Before the controller started working on CURRENT I went ahead and bought some
random USB 2 controller for a stationary machine, since I was unable to find
information on what works and what doesn't, but it turned out to not work
either (in that I get 'weird' behavior in general; some times devices aren't
detected and sometimes I can even get panics). This is on 5.2 though, I
haven't tried CURRENT on that machine. It's a Via VT6202 based controller.

So in short I think your best bet is to try to make sure you have a controller
(built-in on the motherboard or otherwise) that is supported. Unfortunately I
can't tell you what works and what doesn't, since I was unable to find that
out myself.

> if you want to boot from the device. Otherwise I've not
> found anything interesting. Perhaps this is just because
> they work 'out of the box' and there are no quirks or issues
> that merit attention.

I don't know about booting off them though.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org