The correct way to run "make"

Android66 android.66 at volja.net
Fri May 14 10:50:34 PDT 2004

Often you need to specify values, like for postgresql:

make PREFIX=/some/other/dir

And here's another question. I always use the same options for make,
make install and make clean, ie:

make PREFIX=/some/other/dir
make PREFIX=/some/other/dir install
make PREFIX=/some/other/dir clean

This is because I noticed that some ports (I forgot which one I was
having this experience with) need these options in order to install and
clean correctly as they generate the package name based on the options
specified. Is what I'm doing OK or is there another,
beter/simpler/easier way to do it?