Apache returning multiple (Identical) pages?

Andy Holyer andyh at hhbb.co.uk
Fri May 14 07:48:45 PDT 2004

On 14 May 2004, at 15:20, Peter Risdon wrote:

> Andy Holyer wrote:
>
>> This is a weird one. I'm setting up a PHP page on the web server
>> (Apache2, FreeBSD 5.2). When I fetch from a browser, the server
>> delivers index.php over and over again, as fast as it can as far as I
>> can tell.
>>
>> However if I telnet to port 80 and type in the get request manually,
>> it delivers the page correctly, as far as I can tell. Once, only.
>>
>> Has anyone seen anything like this before?
>

> I think a little bit more info would help.
>
> Does the apache access log confirm that there are repeated GET
> requests for the page?

Sure does.
> Is the page actually refreshing, or does it never seem to have
> finished loading, without the window actually being re-drawn over and
> over again? Infinite loops are a common prob in scripts.

It never gets drawn by the browser. Safari complains of multiple
redirect directives, whereas http-access-log reports on multiple sends
of index.php

> Have you eliminated the possibility of errors in your PHP script by
> trying a very trivial script indeed, or one that you know works?

Squirrelmail works perfectly on the same server

I've tested it on every web browser I can think of, from Mozillla to
lynx. Same behavior.

I've just been fiddling with telnet a bit further and I may be getting
somewhere. I've not been reading deeply enough into the http log - it
is indeed returning a 302 response to the browser.  Hmmm...
---
Andy Holyer, Technical stuff
Hedgehog Broadband, 11 Marlborough Place Brighton BN1 1UB
08451 260895 x 241