Dlink DSL router doesn't like FreeBSD

Konrad Heuer kheuer2 at gwdg.de
Fri May 14 04:12:36 PDT 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Walter C. Pelissero wrote:

> I'm trying to make work a D-Link 504T DSL router/switch with FreeBSD
> 5.2.1-RELEASE-p6.
>
> I've already realised that IPv6 is not supported by the router so I
> compiled an IPv4-only kernel and got to work DNS, HTTP, and FTP.
>
> My problem is that ssh and telnet don't work.  I get as far as the
> Password prompt, I type it in, and then ssh freezes for a couple of
> minutes until it probably goes in timeout and gives up.
>
> The D-Link help desk is useless; the only thing they suggested was to
> return the router to where I bought it.  I've anyhow the impression
> that the problem might not completely be the router's fault.  In fact
> I plugged a Windoze machine, installed PuTTY, and ssh seems to work
> flawlessly.
>
> What am I missing here?

I'd try two things:

1) ssh -vvv user at hostname
2) tcpdump -vv 		(while trying to connect by telnet or ssh)

You might have a chance to see where problems occur. Or to repost your
question with relevant sections of the output included.

Best regards

Konrad Heuer (kheuer2 at gwdg.de)  ____            ___  _______
Germany