vinum State Down Help?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 13 19:28:34 PDT 2004

Quoted text unevenly wrapped.

On Thursday, 13 May 2004 at 15:00:22 -0400, Lee Dilkie wrote:
> On  Thursday, May 13, 2004 2:11 PM, Chris Collins wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to setup vinum but I am having a config problem I hope
>> sombody can answer... I cannot get my /usr/ and /var and for some
>> reason my swap is showing at 18G... What am I doing wrong?
>
> i don't think you want to vinum a swap partition. you can just
> create the swap partitions and add them to fstab( or if you run
> /stand/sysinstall to do the disklabel, it'll populate fstab for
> you), the OS will nicely share amongst all your swap partitions.

The obvious reason to use Vinum for swap is for resilience in case of
drive failure.  Admittedly, Chris doesn't seem to be using it like
that, at least not yet.

> and if you only have one drive, why are you using vinum at all? am i
> missing something?

I'm guessing this is a first step, and that later he'll add more
drives.  The only reason I can think of for using Vinum on a single
drive is to collect together non-contiguous space for a single file
system.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.