COPTFLAGS (not?) only for compiling the kernel?

platanthera platanthera at web.de
Thu May 13 17:04:14 PDT 2004

On Friday 14 May 2004 01:41, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 01:39:34AM +0200, platanthera wrote:

> > > The default CFLAGS value *is* "-O -pipe".
> > >
> > > Kris
> >
> > OK, but it looks like -O overrides -O2 here, right?
>
> It depends which comes later in the gcc arguments.
>
> > And if that's true, how can I make the port build use the ports
> > default instead of the system default?
>
> The policy of the ports collection is that all ports should use
> CFLAGS instead of their own crazy defaults, which are often not
> appropriate. If you want to compile your ports with -O2 -pipe
> (recommended against because of compiler or system bugs it sometimes
> exposes), set CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe.
>
> Kris

Thank you very much for your help.

Just one last question (slightly getting OT) - are CFLAGS settings on
FreeBSD more critical than on Linux?
http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gccflags/flag_gcc3.html recommends
-O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer 'for  those who don't want to experiment,
want a stable system, but still optimized..'