COPTFLAGS (not?) only for compiling the kernel?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu May 13 16:41:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 01:39:34AM +0200, platanthera wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2004 01:09, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > I'm just compiling koffice and it looks like COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
> > > overrides the koffice defaults (no CFLAGS defined in make.conf).
> >
> > The default CFLAGS value *is* "-O -pipe".
> >
> > Kris
>
> OK, but it looks like -O overrides -O2 here, right?

It depends which comes later in the gcc arguments.

> And if that's true, how can I make the port build use the ports default
> instead of the system default?

The policy of the ports collection is that all ports should use CFLAGS
instead of their own crazy defaults, which are often not appropriate.
If you want to compile your ports with -O2 -pipe (recommended against
because of compiler or system bugs it sometimes exposes), set
CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe.

Kris