Creating periodic cron jobs

Robert Fitzpatrick robert at webtent.com
Thu May 13 09:27:14 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 12:05, platanthera wrote:
> On Thursday 13 May 2004 17:51, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > I am trying to create a quarter-daily cron job on my FreeBSD 5.2.1 as
> > follows in /etc/crontab:
> >
> > 05 0,6,12,18     *     *     *     root  periodic quarter-daily
> >
> > I created the /etc/periodic/quarter-daily directory and placed my script
> > there. After I ran 'crontab -u root /etc/crontab',
>
> have a look at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#ROOT-NOT-FOUND-CRON-ERRORS

OK, thanks, that seems to have worked, just not informing the system.
But now when my script runs in the 'quarter-hourly' directory, I get the
following, the script is running fine:

mail: illegal option -- a
Usage: mail [-EiInv] [-s subject] [-c cc-addr] [-b bcc-addr] to-addr ...
            [- sendmail-options ...]
       mail [-EiInNv] -f [name]
       mail [-EiInNv] [-u user]

Of course, I'm not getting the mail message that the cron would normally
produce.

--
Robert