Setting Up IMAP

Vince Hoffman jhary at unsane.co.uk
Wed May 12 09:58:08 PDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Charles Swiger wrote:

> On May 12, 2004, at 9:29 AM, Jason Dusek wrote:
> >  Problem 1
> > My mail server's certificate 'fails' the authenticity test because it
> > is self-assigned. Why is this bad (aren't I *supposed* to get a
> > certificate with
> >  # make cert
> > in the stunnel port?) and what do I do to get a better certificate?
>
> You can add the certificate of the local CA you used to sign the SSL
> cert to your mail client's list of trusted CAs.
>
> You can also pay a "real CA" like Verisign, enTrust, etc for a
> commercial SSL cert which will be accepted by default, as mail clients
> already know those CAs.
>
> >  Problem 2
> > Kmail allows me accept the bad certificate and logs in succesfully. It
> > then shows me my *entire* home directory, not just the mail folder.
> > Why does this happen?
>
> There may be an option named "IMAP path prefix" which will let you
> change this, or you can recompile the UWash IMAP server after changing
> the default path where mail is kept.
>
> You'll probably need to go to /usr/ports/mail/cclient, do a "make
> extract", and then cd to work/imap-2002d.  Read docs/CONFIG,
> specificly:
>
> [ ...begin excerpt... ]
> >      Example 2: suppose you want to change c-client's idea of the
> > user's mailbox directory to be the "mail" subdirectory of the user's
> > home directory instead of the user's home directory.  You will want to
> > change variable mailsubdir, changing the line that reads:
> >
> > static char *mailsubdir = NIL;  /* mail subdirectory name */
> >  to be:
> > static char *mailsubdir = "mail";/* mail subdirectory name */
>
> ...and then do a "make deinstall ; make reinstall" from the port's
> directory.

actualy there is a way to set it without recompiling, from the docs
for imap-uw you can use one of the config files (read the docs if you dont
know what the config files are. the docs will say DO NOT use them but they
exist if you realy want to)
again got to /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw
do make extract
read work/imap-2002d/docs/imaprc.txt
[from /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw/work/imap-2002d/docs/imaprc.txt ]

32) set mail-subdirectory <subdirectory
name>
   Change the default connected directory from the user's home directory
   to the named subdirectory of the user's home directory.  For example,
   setting MAILSUBDIR="mail" will cause the POP2 and IMAP servers to
   connect to the user's ~/mail subdirectory.  This is equivalent to
   the env_unix.c edit described in Example 2 of the CONFIG file.

   Note that if the subdirectory does not exist, the result is undefined.
   It is probably an extremely bad idea to set this unless you can
   guarantee that the subdirectory exists for all users.  If you can not
   guarantee this, then you should leave the default as the user's home
   directory and allow them to configure a personal default in their IMAP
   client.

   The default is not to use any subdirectory.

[end extract]
this worked for me but like i say the docs recomend against it.
Vince