Force newsyslog to rotate from custon script

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed May 12 06:53:16 PDT 2004

please.
top-post,
Don't

If your script does the rotation itself, it will know whether and when
the rotation occurred.

> I need an return code or exit code from the newsyslog command to
> check to tell if trigger was met and log really rotated.

> Does newsyslog issue such codes and how would I code an csh script
> to check for it?

That's not available; newsyslog is intended for handling multiple
files, which would make such an exit code indeterminate.  You could
get fairly close by running newsyslog in verbose mode and parsing out
the result.

> Trying to for see  an DOS attack targeted at consuming all the log
> disk space in /var

If you just put /var/log on its own filesystem, such an attack
wouldn't hurt you much even if it managed to fill up the filesystem.