Help: Speeding up Boot Process

Rob stopspam at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 12 04:52:17 PDT 2004

Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2004, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
>

>>    I've heard a lot of comments about the booting
>>process of freebsd, that it is much faster than
>>booting into Linux.
>
> It is.

I also seem to remember that from my long-time-back linux experience.
Given a same amount of services to run on either system, what are obvious,
easy to understand, reasons for FreeBSD to be quicker than Linux?

> You don't say if there's any particular step that is slow.  New systems
> often lack reverse DNS, so sendmail will sit there for thirty seconds or
> more just waiting.  Not sure about the minimum required, but giving the
> system's hostname in /etc/hosts helps.  If you don't need sendmail, turn
> it off by adding
>
> sendmail_enable="NONE"

I once tried that, but the system was cluttering up lots of undeliverable
emails to root. Apparently system maintenance reports its results by
email to root, and cannot deliver it without having basic sendmail running.
As soon as I switched to 'sendmail_enable="NO"', immediately after
the first boot-up, the system was busy for a long while to deliver all
the previously cluttered-up undeliverable emails.
I consider this to be a nasty side effect of system maintenance.

Regards,
Rob.