spam spoofers

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 11 16:05:09 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, 11 May 2004 at  9:34:25 -0700, Buck at buck-jones.com wrote:

> I am getting hundreds of spam with return addresses on it from MY server..
> the ip addresses are different and they didn't originate from my server .
> now I am getting notices from AOL and other they are going to stop
> excepting mail from me...while this is no loss to me, I see a problem
> here...  is there anyway to stop this, anyone to call,,,,anything to do?

Spam's a universal problem, of course, and it'll be a while before the
legislators catch up, though things are gradually happening.  This
particular issue is forgery, of course; I don't have much hope, but I
have an AUP which attaches a charge of $25,000 per use of our name.  I
don't see a bat's chance in hell of seeing that money at the moment,
but who knows what happens in the future?  See
http://www.lemis.com/aup.html for more details.

Another thing you can try is SPF, the sender policy framework.  It's a
DNS extension that says where mail from you can come from.  See
http://spf.pobox.com/ for more details.  AOL is using it:

aol.com text = "v=spf1 ip4:152.163.225.0/24 ip4:205.188.139.0/24 ip4:205.188.144.0/24 ip4:205.188.156.0/23 ip4:205.188.159.0/24 ip4:64.12.136.0/23 ip4:64.12.138.0/24 ptr:mx.aol.com ?all"

I suspect that they would not block you if you have SPF DNS records.

> I also have a woman getting mail from a sick person with the address
> and return the same as her address. the police, FBI, are no help..

That may change.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.