3 Nics - Dual (Tripe) Homed Host

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Tue May 11 13:22:14 PDT 2004

<snip>

> I'm not sure if you were aware of aliasing, as I was not, or if this fits
> your situation as well as it did mine.  I'm curious now as to whether or
not
> my gateway/router machine could still provide connectivity between the two
> networks, via the virtual hosted interface, for clients on both LANs.
> Though my setup suites me now, I may give that a try.
>
> Regards,
>
> Travis Troyer

I'm not sure if you were aware of this option or not, but to configure
FreeBSD for native routing on it's directly connected network segments, you
will need to enable forwarding to configure it to be a gateway system.

To enable gateway mode via the command line:

/root> sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

Then in your rc.conf add the following to do so on every boot:

gateway_enable="YES"

The initial problem you described leads me to belive that this isn't
currently configured. Also, if you're running natd, then you may need to
make allowances in your firewall ruleset to allow the traffic to pass from
one lan segment to the other.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.