vinum striped volume has corrupt plex, help needed (resolved)

Lee Dilkie lee at dilkie.com
Tue May 11 04:36:18 PDT 2004

Final update on this chapter for all of you breathlessly waiting for word on
what happened... :)

turned out to be a couple of issues. The scsi cable seemed to be sensitive
to it's route through the innards of my case, a little more interference in
some spots perhaps. But the bigger issue was that the extra drive I added
taxed my power supply just a bit too much. When the 5 baracudda drives were
operational under vinum (and striping made them *all* active at once) the
resultant strain on the PS lead to signal errors on the scsi bus (fast and
wide but not differential). Powering off the new drive allowed me to restore
vinum (thanks for the "setstate", i needed it several times) and copy off
the data to a network share.

One think I noticed and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this. When my
scsi drives were having difficulity, they would spin down to a lower speed.
Sometimes they would spin down to several lower speeds and even stop on
occasion before spinning back up. This was sometimes (but not always)
accompanied by a "bus free in data-in phase" error message on the console.
In severe cases there would be an entire scsi dump state on the console. Was
the scsi driver telling the drives to spin down or were the drives doing it
themselves? I've never seen that behaviour in other OSs. I'm wondering if
the drives (i couldn't figure out which one was changing speed) were
responding to PS voltage drops or something?

Another thing.... One forgets the march of technology. I remember coding
scsi drivers waay back when it was called sasi. Reverting my
fast-wide-disconnectenabled-synchronous drives back to
narrow-slow-nodisconnect and asynchronous (just like the original spec) made
them very slow. took forever to dd them. And of course my scsi drives are
slow by todays scsi standards...

anyway, thanks all.

-lee