First time running cvsup

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Tue May 11 01:09:22 PDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:24:22 +0800 (CST)
Stephen Liu <satimis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Freebsd5.2
> =========
>
> This is my first time running 'cvsup' to upgrade
> port-tree after installing the OS which runs on a slow
> PC, AMD-K6-350 and under X11.
>
> # cvsup cvs-supfile
>
> I went through 'A.5.3 CVSup Configuration' on
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> But I haven't had much confidence on myself, not
> running the PC to an unstable state after upgrade.
> Please provide me some advice on this respect
>
> $ pkg_info | grep cvsup
> cvsup-16.1h         General network file distribution
> system optimized for CVS
>
> # cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile
> /etc/cvs-supfile
> # ee /etc/cvs-supfile  (as follows)
> cvs-all (shall I add 'release=cvs' ???)
>
> Can I create one 'supfile' to /etc/supfile and run
> followings collectively (instead of to run each
> 'supfile' separately);
> # cat /etc/supfile
> src-all
> doc-all ('release=cvs' ???)
> cvs-all ('release=cvs' ???)
> cvsroot-all ('release=cvs' ???)
> ports-all ('release=cvs' ???)

I use 3 cvsup files: one fot the ports, one for the docs and one for the
system (src). This way I can update ports and docs more often and be
sure the system had known-to-be-working sources (I'm on -CURRENT).

My /etc/ports-supfile is:
*default host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
ports-all

(Don't refuse categories in ports, when you'll try to `make index` I
will fail from time to time ).

In the /etc/current-supfile the line ports-all is replaced by src-all
and in /etc/doc-all by doc-all

If you don't follow -current you will want to change the dot from
"tag=." in your branch.

> then
> # cvsup supfile
>
> Is it necessary to run following trial test ???
> # mkdir /var/tmp/dest
> # cvsup supfile /var/tmp/dest

No.

> I could not locate
> /usr/ports/UPDATING
> where it is kept???

Well, in /usr/ports :) It is a new thing so it will appear after you
cvsup.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"