Network Help

Jeffrey P. Toth jtoth at attech.net.au
Sun May 9 23:03:22 PDT 2004

Thanks for you time.

Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

>[ it would be nice if you would reply in the same thread and wrap to 72
>chars ]
>
>On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:17:43 +0930
>"Jeffrey P. Toth" <jtoth at attech.net.au> wrote:
>

>>Thanks Ion-Mihai,
>>
>>Well that is the problem. I cannot find any problems other than when I
>>try to open an http: on the box, or on one of the other computers on
>>the network, it fails and has the network error:
>>
>>Making HTTP connection to www.any-site-on-the-box.com
>>Sending HTTP request
>>HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
>>Alert! Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
>>Can't Access 'http://www.any-site-on-the-box.com'
>>Alert! Unable to access document.
>>

>fetch -vvv http://www.any-site-on-the-box.com/
>output please
>

>>I can ping all machines and do a traceroute without problem.
>>

>Good.
>

>>The server is online and working I just cannot seem to figure out why
>>I cannot use http on the box and suspect that is the same reason the
>>other computers on the network cannot access any of the sites on the
>>FreeBSD machine without causing a freeze up.
>>

>So you cannot access any web page *from* that box either on that box and
>away ? Please be clear. And when you try to access a page _on_ the box
>it freezes ? Maybe you have a firewall in between somewhere somehow ? If
>you're machine is freezing the you have to dig *this* problem. Did you
>played with sysctl or kernel settings ? Does ftp from or to the box work
>? How much RAM do you have ? Did you disable swap ? Do the logs say
>anything ?

I cannot acces any page on the FreeBSD box from the box itself or from
any computer on the newtowrk. I can access all other websites outside of
the network.

After I attempt to access a page on the  FreeBSD box from the box or one
of the other computers on the netowork, at timeout the router freezes
and goes offline. A power reboot fixes till the next time I try to
access via http or ftp.

If I connect up my XP computer through my dial up account removing it
from the router, then I am on different network and  I have no problem
accessing any of the sites or ftp'ing into the box.

I have not done anything with sysctl or kernel settings

FTP works from outside the box but not from within the network.

I have 256 Megs opf RAM

Disable Swap?

Looking in the logs httpd-error.log , httpd-access.log, debug.log, ftpd,
dmesg.today, security, and messages I find nothing about any errors
relating to the problem. In fact I don't even get a log where it tried
to access the box in httpd-access.log

Is this what you mean by not putting the text ontop and far as I can
tell the setting says the message is wrapped 72 characters. did it work
this time?

Thanks for all,

Jeff