Network Help

Jeffrey P. Toth jtoth at attech.net.au
Sun May 9 20:47:51 PDT 2004

Thanks Ion-Mihai,

Well that is the problem. I cannot find any problems other than when I try to open an http: on the box, or on one of the other computers on the network, it fails and has the network error:

Making HTTP connection to www.any-site-on-the-box.com
Sending HTTP request
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Alert! Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Can't Access 'http://www.any-site-on-the-box.com'
Alert! Unable to access document.

I can ping all machines and do a traceroute without problem. The server is online and working I just cannot seem to figure out why I cannot use http on the box and suspect that is the same reason the other computers on the network cannot access any of the sites on the FreeBSD machine without causing a freeze up.

Do I need to add all the websites to the hosts file?
Or the static IP of the box, xxx.xxx.xxx.150?
Or maybe add the IP of the router?
The host file contains these items as setup:
127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost.name-of box.com
203.122.142.24 	name-of-box.com.

Replace name-of-box with the actual name of the box.

Just cannot seem to find what affects this problem.

Thanks for any clues.

Jeff