Network Help

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Sun May 9 19:24:54 PDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004 11:24:02 +0930
"Jeffrey P. Toth" <jtoth at attech.net.au> wrote:

> Thanks Dave,
>
>        I am sure the problem is that I do not have the networking on the
> FreeBSD box setup correctly. Anyway, 3 computers on the network, 1
> FreeBSD, 1 XP and 1 Win98. All connected to router at IP xxx.xxx.xxx.1.
> The FreeBSD machine is set and should be set to xxx.xxx.xxx.150. OK, all
> work fine until, I try to call up the the static IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, or
> call up and of the websites by http: from a browser or using lynx on the
> FreeBSD box, I get an error: Alert!: Unexpected network read error;
> connection aborted or on the Win boxes the browser just times out.
> Shortly after or at the timeout, the router freezes and I have to power
> reboot it.

This shouldn't happen what ever you configured you box (I mean from
networking point of view).

>        I am very sure that this is because I have not properly set it up
> and the error is just a symptom of that. In rc.conf for settings all I
> have right now is:
>
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.0.150 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
>
>        I have read a lot about it and suspect this isn't right but
> really not sure how to make the change. I think it should be:
>
> ifconfig_xl0="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"    #static IP address
> ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.0.150 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Well, I don't understand if you use you FreeBSD box as a router or not.

If yes, then you should have something like:
hostname="buh.cameradicommercio.ro"
ifconfig_rl0="inet 81.196.25.19   netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_rl1="inet 192.168.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="81.196.25.1"

where rl0 would be your outside interface connencted to your upstream
provider's router with ip address 81.196.25.1 and rl1 would be the
inside interface connected to a hub/switch with the internal machines.

You would also want to use natd on the router, because 192.168/24 is a
private address space. So you would add to you rc.conf:
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="rl0"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"

You need FIREWALL="YES" for natd to work.

All this is very well explained in the FreeBSD Handbook, tahe a look at:
6.8 Setting Up Network Interface Cards
19.3 Wireless Networking

--
IOnut