help! -- acroread failing to launch

epilogue at allstream.net epilogue at allstream.net
Thu May 6 17:29:49 PDT 2004

hi,

i recently uninstalled almost all of my programs, cleaned out the cruft,
and re-installed only the programs i was actually using.  +2Gb yay!

well, since reinstalling acroread, i'm having problems getting it to run.
i vaguely recall having the same issue, when i first installed the program
many moons ago, but do not recall what to do to fix.  here is the error
message:

> acroread
/usr/local/Acrobat5/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading
shared libraries: libXt.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

> locate libXt.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6

i have tried with and without the following paths in my rc.conf file (with
reboot, naturally).

ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/ /u sr/compat/linux/lib /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib
/usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib"

ldconfig_paths_aout="/usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout
/usr/X11R6/lib/aout /usr/local/lib/aout"

this is the version i have installed:
acroread-5.08       View, distribute and print PDF documents

finally, the program was installed with portinstall, so all dependencies
should also have been installed.  i do have linux_base_8 installed
*instead* of 7, but i fixed that dependency through pkgdb -Fu.  (also, i
have had it working this way in the past, so this shouldn't be the
problem).

if anyone has any idea what might be wrong, please let me know.

thank you very much,
epi