Ports Index Update Error - mail/lmtpd Failure

Joshua Lokken joshua at twobirds.us
Wed May 5 09:42:11 PDT 2004

* Bob Perry <rperry4 at earthlink.net> [2004-05-04 22:04]:
> Was unsucessful at upgrading my ports system Saturday due to a
> failure during the port index update.  More specifically, I
> received an error message stating that mail/lmtpd file failed.
>
> The upgrade process is fairly basic beginning with a backup of
> /var/db/pkg, followed with pkgdb -Fv, cvsup -g -L 2 -z cvsupfile,
> and then portsdb -uU.  The error ocurred during the index update
> and a message followed describing the error stating "Makefile",
> line 47: You cannot use DB3 and DB4 in the same time.

I've been using the ports collection happily for a couple of years now,
and portsdb -Uu has correctly made me an index once.  I believe it's
redundant, though, to immediately follow a cvsup with a portsdb -Uu, as
the cvsup takes care of the index for you.  I wouldn't worry too much;
I've seen other folks recommend recvsupping and trying again; It should
be ok to ignore it; at least I always have.

--
Joshua

"Mmmm, unguarded breakfasts; the sweetest taboo."
          -- Homer Simpson