Wireless (newbie questions)

Pratt, Benjamin E. bepratt at stcloudstate.edu
Tue May 4 17:11:28 PDT 2004

Hello everyone, I'm very new to this whole wireless thing (I know, I'm late to the game) and I was just looking at buying my first PCMCIA 802.11g card.  I want something that can use an external antenna so I've been looking at a Proxim Orinoco card (http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/11bgpccard/index.html).  It appears as though this card will work with FreeBSD but I just wanted to verify this.

I've also got a friend who's done some wireless things before and he uses Linux and therefore Kismet.  I see that FreeBSD has a port for bsd-airtools but I'm not sure if that's all that I'd need.  I'd like to be able to sniff for traffic without sending any data out (he does this with Kismet) in order to not be detected.  He has said that netstumbler sends out can't do this and bsd-airtools likens itself to netstumbler so I was wondering if bsd-airtools has these limitations as well.

Anyone have any comments about the card I'm looking at or the functionality of bsd-airtools??

Thanks,

Ben