shrinkfs?? is this possible?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue May 4 13:23:48 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 03:26:58PM -0500, Chris Collins wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was wondering if somebody could tell me how to shrink /usr. I need 64K
> available at the end of my disk to write some RAID info. When I setup the
> disk I used all available disk space.
>
> Maybe shrinking /usr is not the best solution????

Unfortunately this isn't possible, other than by dumping the
filesystem to backup, blowing away the current partitioning using
disklabel(8) or bsdlabel(8), recreating the filesystem in the shrunken
partition via newfs(8) and then restoring the files from backup.

Seeing as it's your user partition you want to shrink, and that
contians most of your useful programs from the base system, you'll
need to do that in single user mode, and preferably while booted from
a recovery disk (disk 2 from the 4CD set).

Which is an awful lot of work just to free up 64K.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way