Question for the list about install BSD4.9 from FTP over CD

Matthew Seaman matthew at cryptosphere.com
Tue May 4 12:51:10 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 01:46:02PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > If I were to install FreeBSD by doing FTP rather than from a disc, will I
> > get updated sources
> >

> > EG: install 4.9 release, which doesn't support my nic right off, but there
> > is an update driver that does
>
> For the base system and source you would get whatever it was at the
> time it was made in to 4.9-release.  You would have to cvsup to get
> any additional updates beyond that.
>
> Was the driver applied to 4.9 after the release? or just to current?
> Just because a driver came in to being does not mean that it was
> applied to 4.9.   You may need to go to 5.xxxxxx to get it.  So,
> check that to make sure it got added to 4.9 before depending on it.

A new driver wouldn't be added to 4.9-RELEASE -- only security
bugfixes go into the RELEASE branches.  However it would go into
4-STABLE, and consequently will be in the up and coming 4.10-RELEASE.
If the OP cvsup's the latest sources from the RELENG_4 branch and does
a normal {build,install} world cycle he should get what he wants.  Of
there are some release candidate snapshots of 4.10 available as .iso's
if you're allergic to compilers.

> But, I think, and I could easily be wrong, that the ports tree that
> you pull in during the install (via ftp) would be whatever is the
> latest at the time you do the install and the ports you install via
> the ports system would be the latest for any given named version in
> the ports tree.

Yes -- you get a snapshot of the ports tree created at the same time
(just about) as the release .isos were cut.  However that is just a
point in time in the continuous development of the ports.  Use
cvsup(1) to get the very latest stuff.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way