arp issues...but WHY

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Tue May 4 07:31:14 PDT 2004

At 09:24 AM 05/04/2004, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > >Kent
> >
> > How are these not different networks? Could you explain?
> > What would I need to do to MAKE then different?
> >

>They are on the same cable or wire. So, you only have one network.  For
>example, on this computer, I have a 192.168.x.x network and a
>207.41.x.x network. The 207. network is hooked up to my DSL modem
>switch and the 192. network is connected to a different switch. All of
>my local computers are hooked up to this network. They are physically
>different networks.
>
>You have two logically different IP addresses but they are on the same
>network.
>
>Kent

ahh..NOW I understand. thanks.

If I got a switch for the 192 block machines and a switch for the 10 block
machines that would be 2 distinct networks...right?

Next question..

Then how do I get data from one segment to the other w/o using a router and
yet at the same time keeping 'arp' happy ?

Thanks again for all your help!

  -JDB