APC Back-UPS XS1500VA

anubis anubis357 at optusnet.com.au
Sun May 2 19:10:36 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004 6:08 am, dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     I'm trying to determine if this UPS will work wih FreeBSD, i
> want to use it to control two computers, a switch, and a cable
> modem. I have not been able to find any information on it pertaning
> to nut or apcupsd. Does anyone know if this is a upported model and
> what an apcupsd.conf might be? Thanks.
> Dave.

Have you refered to the apcupsd web page.  Look here for the full info
http://www2.apcupsd.com/3.10.x-manual/supported.html

Here are 2 excerpts

Supported Operating Systems, UPSes and Cables

Please note that due to the lack of Unix USB API standards, the USB
code in apcupsd works only on Linux. Drivers for other OSes can be
written, but it requires someone with a knowledge of the OS and the
USB to do so. (This lack of a Unix USB API interface is one of the
big failings of Unix. It occurs in other areas such as the GUI. Many
people tout the diversity as an advantage, but it is in fact a
weakness.)

and

BackUPS CS USB, Pro USB, ES USB, RS/XS 1000, RS/XS 1500, and probably
other USB models	->USB

From this I would infer that your ups is a USB driven ups only and you
may have problems with connecting to it.  I guess it would depend on
the port and whether it has been suficiently modified to work with
usb on freebsd.  Maybe give it a go.

I am not familiar with the backUPS model.  I have the smartUPS'.  With
them you can buy a serial expansion card.  If you can buy one of
these it may be a solution.

last time I set up apcupsd I found it to be easy if you look at the
above site.  Just give it a go.