Dumb question (dual booting WinXP with FBSD on 2nd drive)

Peters Micheal A Contr GSI/SCBN Micheal.Peters at niagarafalls.af.mil
Sun May 2 15:58:59 PDT 2004

Right, but you can also go back to the boot manager select screen by going
though FDISK

>FreeBSD doesn't write any files to Windows.  You will need to copy the
>appropriate files yourself.

According to the handbook, when dual booting using 2 hard drives (In this
case Windows XP on one and FreeBSD on the other, you need to use the Boot0
File, however, this file can NOT be copied to the hard drive, as it will
compleate over write the master boot record with NULL and FreeBSD.  Insteed
The FreeBSD installer will copy the file over for you.  When dual booting
using the same partition of a hard drive, then, you can copy the boot1 file
over to the windows drive

>I don't fully understand what you are saying happened.  It sounds like
>you can now boot to FreeBSD but not XP?  When you boot, are you
>presented with a choice of which partition to boot?

Actually at the moment I can boot to both, just not the I intended.  After
trying to install the FreeBSD bootloader, and rebooting, I get nothing, I go
stright to windows (which, technicaly, is what is suppose to happen).  I can
not configure boot.ini to load the FreeBSD drive (though the FreeBSD
bootloader) becouse I have nothing to point the ini file to (as per the
instrctions in the Handbook).  Instead, what I have to do is on boot of my
PC go into BIOS, Select which drive I want to boot from, reboot and there I
go.  Now, recently I've discovered how to inturupt BIOS and get it to ask me
which drive I want to boot from, but it isn't windows XP boot loader asking,
nor is it FreeBSD, Its BIOS, with about 1.5 seconds to catch it before it
boots from what ever the setting is at.

>- Bob

P.S. Bob, I really do appreaciate the time you took the answer this
question.  As I've stated, I can Dual boot, it's just a major pain the way I
have to do it.  I'm just looking for the "right way" or the "better way".