Configuring Samba for Printing on WinXP Machine

Joshua Lokken joshua at twobirds.us
Sun May 2 14:35:22 PDT 2004

* Gerard Seibert <gerard-seibert at rcn.com> [2004-05-02 14:11]:
> I am running FreeBSD 5.2.1. I have three computers networked together, Two
> running WinXP Pro and one running FreeBSD. I would like the one running
> BSD to be able to use the printer connected to the WinXP machine. I have
> had no success in getting this to occur.

This doesn't pertain *specifically* to XP, but:
(from
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/corp-net-guide/printserving-nt-
+and-freebsd.html)

[quote]
Following is a sample /etc/printcap file entry that defines a print
queue named tank on the FreeBSD system pointed to an NT LPD server queue
named sherman on a NT Server named big.army.mil in the DNS. This uses
the rm printcap capability. Unlike the earlier examples, the output
print jobs are sent out not by the PC parallel port but over the network
to the NT server.

#
tank|sample remote printer:\
  :rm=big.army.mil:rp=sherman:sd=/var/spool/output/lphost:\
  :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
#
[/quote]

HTH,
--
Joshua

"Mmm Jar-Jar; everyone hates you, but me."
         -- Comic Book Guy