Hang up on boot ..

John Murphy jfm at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 2 04:05:10 PDT 2004

Florian <florian at kerith.de> wrote:

Hi Florian
I've CC'd your question to questions at freebsd.org (where all good fbsd
technical questions should go).

>I want to install using a CD with the 5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso.
>It shows the "Welcome to FreeBSD!"-screen wit hthe 7 options and that
>ASCII-art demon to the right.
>If I chose "1. Boot FreeBSD [default]", it starts to boot but just freezes
>after a few pages of text, the last lines being:
>Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1102504582Hz quality 800
>Timecounters tick every 10.000msec

The next thing to happen after that message is (on my system with IDE)
probing for ata disk drives.

Can you try it again with just the HD you want to install to connected.
(yes without the CD drive if you can make the two install floppies)
The Generic kernel may be struggling with a slave without master
situation for instance.