User quotas in a jail

r_dal at comcast.net r_dal at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 15:50:45 PST 2004

Hi,

I wasn't sure of the best way to manage quotas on a jailed system, I'm running FreeBSD v4.9. I have several file systems mounted on the host system and have quotas enabled on the /var partition where I'm running the jail.  Since the password db is different between the host and jail(s) what's the best way to check and enforce quotas on the users in the jails?

I don't have a "true" /etc/fstab file in the jail to run the quota-related commands. If I set and check quotas from the host system, how do I tell if I'm looking up "fred" on jail 1 or "fred" on jail 2? Saw a few threads in the archive related to user/group quotas in a jail, but was unclear on how to configure FreeeBSD for that.

Thanks in advance,
Rich