Help tracking down a naughty process

Adam McLaurin adam.mclaurin at gmx.net
Wed Mar 31 14:27:46 PST 2004

Since upgrading to 5.2.1-p4-RELEASE last night, I have seen the
following warnings a few times in my /var/log/messages:

Mar 31 16:49:14 jake kernel: Warning: pid 37735 used static ldt
allocation. Mar 31 16:49:14 jake kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page
for more info

Trouble is, by the time I go to check what pid 37735 is, it's already
terminated without a trace.

Now the i386_set_ldt man page warns strongly against it's usage, so I'd
like to catch this bugger before it causes any problems, but I don't
really know how, since it seems to be something that only runs for a
couple seconds and then exits (could be part of some script somewhere, I
don't know).

When I upgraded, I did do a nice 'portupgrade -raRf' to recompile
everything, and almost everything recompiled without problems (although
it took nearly 36 hours to do it). I can't imagine what might be doing
this, although I am suspicious of wine (just b/c it often does naughty
things).

Any suggestions on catching this process in action?

Thanks.

--
Adam

"satyam, shivam, sundaram"

P.S. Please CC your reply to me, since I am no longer subscribed to this
list. Thanks.