e2fsprogs install

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Wed Mar 31 09:41:03 PST 2004

Hi!

> To have your ext2 and ext3 filesystems fsck'ed correctly without explicitly
> invoking the fsck_ext2fs utility installed by this port you will need to
> create links for the fsck utilities installed by this port in /sbin, e.g.
>
> ln -f /usr/local/sbin/fsck_ext2fs /sbin/ 2>/dev/null \
>   || install -m755 /usr/local/sbin/fsck_ext2fs /sbin/
> ln -f /usr/local/sbin/e2fsck /sbin/e2fsck 2>/dev/null \
>   || install -m755 /usr/local/sbin/e2fsck /sbin/e2fsck
>
> In particular, I assume that each of these two commands are meant to be
> entered as one line,

Correct.

> and has been shown over two lines to fit on the page.

Correct again.

> I also assume that there is a symbol denoting that the command is
> continued on the next line. But which one? The "\" and the end of the
> first line, or the "|" at the beginning of the second line, or both?

It's the \. The || is something like a shell "or" operator:
"command1 || command2" means "execute command1, if that fails then
execute command 2".
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If Windows sucked, it would be good for something.