Installing 5.2-RC2 on HPT 374 (RocketRaid 404) with RAID5

Artem Koutchine matrix at itlegion.ru
Wed Mar 31 06:30:33 PST 2004

Hi!

I am having tough time trying to install FreeBSD 5.2-RC2 from a
CDROM to a 3-disk RAID5 array on RocketRaid 404
If just do plain install everythig goes fine.
FreeBSD kernel sees my three ATA disks
as ad4, ad6, ad8, but not the raid array itself.

But when i
load disk0:htp374-5.1.ko
(i have also tried 5.0.ko, but there is no 5.2.ko)
Kernel panics after 'boot' right after a line:
Pentium PRO MTRR support disabled.
Fatal trap12: page fault while in kernel mode
Kernel trap 12 with  interupts disabled.
Supervisor read, page not present
panic: page fault

I have tries the procedure for FBSD-4.4 with
hpt374-4.4 module and it worked fine (i cannot
see individual disks, but i can see 240GB raid5 array
as da0).

My guess is that 5.0 and 5.1 ko modules are not
compatible with 5.2 but there is not 5.2 ko module
of the driver. Maybe someone could send it to me?

HPT374 BIOS: 2.12c
MB: ASUS P2B/DS (SCSI built in)
CPU: 2 XEON 550Mhz Pentium III

Regards,
Artem Kuchin
General Director of IT Legion Ltd.
Russia, Moscow
www.itlegion.ru
matrix at itlegion.ru
+7 095 232-0338

Installing 5.2-RC2 on HPT 374 (RocketRaid 404) with RAID5