sf.net: host not found

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Wed Mar 31 01:20:38 PST 2004

Shantanoo wrote:

>+++ Zhang Weiwu [freebsd] [30-03-04 16:29 +0800]:
>|
>| Hello. It has been three days since I cannot access sourceforge.net, using
>| many different Chinese dns server:
>|
>| zhangweiwu at thinkpad:~>host sf.net
>| Host not found, try again.
>| zhangweiwu at thinkpad:~>host sourceforge.net
>| Host not found, try again.
>|
>| It behave like the last year's Google being blocked in China. But I don't
>| know sourceforge has anything to do with political stuff.
>|
>| Can anyone tell me sourceforge's ip address? Or better tell me a
>| world-accessible dns server, that I can help myself with such things.
>|
>| If it is truly blocked, then it is no use to have IP address. But I'll have
>| a try.
>|
>| Thank you.
>
>As you are using FreeBSD, why not have your own caching name server?
>Method:
>
>1. set your hostname
>    hostname="test.tld"
>    in your /etc/rc.conf
>2. cd /etc/namedb
>3. sh make-localhost
>4. start named.
>    add following line in /etc/rc.conf
>    named_enable="YES"
>
>to test
>
>dig -x 127.0.0.1

That does not solve my problem. Perhaps I'm not clear. The situation is
my ISP's dns server cannot return IP address for *.sourceforge.net,
*.slashdot.org. Other local ISP's dns server cannot return IP address
for *.sourceforge.net & *.slashdot.org.

zhangweiwu at thinkpad:~>dig @210.34.0.14 sourceforge.net

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @210.34.0.14 sourceforge.net
; (1 server found)
;; res_nsend: Operation timed out
Exit 9

I talked about it on local forums and happen to find most Chinese dns
servers behave the same. If you heard of the last year's Chinese
political event of blocking google access from non-experts, you know
what I'm talking about. This time it seems sourceforge and slashdot are
blocked. The best solution to me perhaps is to find a free-accessible
dns server. I happen to find one on local forums: 69.67.108.10 is
working for me.