log off with process running

rfa at msumain.edu.ph rfa at msumain.edu.ph
Tue Mar 30 21:06:43 PST 2004

>>nohup is a possible solution; check its man page.
>>
>>Example:
>>
>>$ nohup wget http://server/big.iso &
>>
>>On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 05:22, Robert Storey wrote:
>>
>>>I want to log off and hang up the modem. The question is, how to do so?
>>> With the above process running, I can't even get back to the command
line to type "exit"
>>>(and wouldn't typing "exit" kill any process I'm running?). Ditto if I
>>> hit ctrl-c. I suppose I could just hang up the modem, but that's not
>>> elegant.
>

> Screen, nohup, etc; all great answers.
>
> Just for curiosity's sake, isn't standard redirection
> the first thing to think of?
>
> #cvsup /ports-via-modem.sup > /root/cvsuplog &
>
> Wanna get it back?
>
> #jobs
> [1]  + Running                       cvsup /ports-via-modem.sup >
> /root/cvsuplog
>
> Wanna keep it in the bg, but check its current status?
>
> $tail -f  /myhome/cvsuplog
>
> Willing to be educated,
>
> Kevin Kinsey
> DaleCo, S.P.

I was wondering if I did something like this using putty:

#nohup btlaunchmany.py . &

and then the session was terminated because of a power spike, how could I
put the process back into the foreground after logging in again so I could
see its statistics?  I wouldnt want to use redirection because it would
probably use too much disk.

Thanks,

Rommel