FreeBSD 5.2.1 nstall problem: filesystem error.

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Mar 30 10:27:42 PST 2004

> I was trying to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 on my PC, but I got a strange error
> about the filesystem being full.
> I just created the filesystems, with / having 256MB.
> It was able to copy a few files from the mfsroot disk to /, then when it
> tried
> to extract the packages, cpio complained about / being full. I've verified
> that the disk geometry was correct and the partitions were set up right.
> System is
> an eMachines T2778. I was atempting FTP installation. Anyone know what
> might be wrong?

What other filesystems did you create.

Certainly if you only made a 256MB / file system and no /usr or /var,
etc (so it would put everything there in root), it would not be enough
room to do a complete installation.   If you want to make one big root (/)
for the whole installation, you will need it to be something like 1.5GB
or more, depending on how much other stuff like X and ports you install.

////jerry